V157 Coal Tar Epoxy is a high solids, two component tar filled coating formulated to provide excellent film build in one or two coats. The high level of cross-linking provides an excellent barrier coat for immersion service in fresh water, salt water or waste water. Additionally, this product is resistant to many acids, alkalis and mild solvents in splash and spill exposures. The high build of this product provides an excellent non-conductive film for use between dissimilar metals. This product may be applied direct to prepared ferrous metal and concrete, however, a primer is recommended for maximum life expectancy. This is a two-component product that requires 4 parts of the V157-80 “A” Component mixed with 1 part of the V157-90 “B” Component. Mix ratio is 4:1. Do not mix partial kits.
- SOLD IN KITS
- Formulated for use over properly prepared/primed steel, iron, concrete, and non-ferrous metal
- Provides excellent protection from water, acids, alkalis, and mild solvents
- Can be applied directly to the substrate; use with a primer for extra longevity
- Suitable for use in USDA inspected facilities
- Meets Performance Requirements for Army Corps of Engineers C-200
- Meets Performance Requirements for SSPC Paint 16
- Meets Performance Requirements for DOD-P-23236
Available Sheens: Flat
Available Colors: Black
Cleanup: Xylene or Epoxy Thinner
Resin Type: Coal Tar
Recommended Use: Interior or exterior
MPI Rating: 35
VOC Level: < 250 g/L
Recommended For: Properly prepared and/or primed Steel, Iron, Concrete, and non-ferrous metals. V157 Coal Tar Epoxy is designed for the waste water treatment, chemical processing, pulp and paper, and industrial maintenance markets or anywhere a tar filled polyamide epoxy is required for excellent resistance to water, chemicals and underground exposures.
Coverage: 70-135sq.ft. per gallon
- To Touch: 2 Hours
- To Recoat: 12 Hours
- Full Cure: 3 - 7 Days
Surface Preparation: The performance of this product is directly dependent upon the degree of surface preparation employed. All dirt, oils and accumulated salts must be removed prior to employing specific surface preparation methods. Solvent washing in accordance with SSPC-SP 1 will best accomplish this task. Steel: Non-Immersion requires Hand Tool Cleaning (SSPC-SP 2) or Power Tool Cleaning (SSPC-SP 3) or for best results, Commercial Blast Cleaning (SSPC-SP 6) followed by the proper primer. May be applied direct to ferrous metal in atmospheric exposures. Immersion
service requires Near White Metal Blast (SSPC-SP 10) followed by the proper primer. Concrete: Must have form/release agents removed by pressure washing or other suitable methods. Acid etching or abrasive blasting may be required to properly open the surface. May be applied direct to concrete. Non-Ferrous Metals: Solvent Wash (SSPC-SP 1) as indicated above. Rusted areas on galvanized metal should be removed by Hand Tool Cleaning (SSPC-SP 2) or Power Tool Cleaning (SSPC-SP 3). Non-Ferrous metals should be primed for best results.
Mixing Instructions: This is a two component kit and is pre-proportioned for error free mixing. DO NOT vary from these instructions. Mix “A” & “B” separately.
- Carefully empty the entire contents of V157-90 activator into the can of V157-Part A component resin; scrape the sides of the pail of Part B to make sure all liquid has been added. Part A container is filled to completely accept entire contents of Part B material.
- Using a jiffy mixer at low speed, blend this mixture for three to five minutes until completely blended. Keep the mixing blade turning at a slow speed to minimize whipping air into material. Scrape sides of pail during the mixing process.
- Care must be taken to assure both components are completely mixed in order to avoid partially cured spots in the coating.
- Allow to induct for 30 minutes. Do not thin this product – it is ready to use once both components are thoroughly mixed. It is extremely important to remember that Epoxy Coatings have a limited pot life; therefore, it is wise to make sure sufficient manpower and correct application tools are in order prior to starting the mixing sequence.
- Airless Spray (Preferred Method): A 30:1 pump (minimum) is required to adequately spray this product. Tip range between .025 and .031. Total fluid output pressure at tip should not be less than 2400 psi.
- Air Spray (Pressure Pot): Not recommended due to excessive amount of thinner necessary to atomize.
- Brush: Stiff Natural Bristle only. / Roller: Industrial Cover with Phenolic core.
- NOTE: Do not allow material to remain in hoses, gun or spray equipment. Thoroughly flush all equipment with recommended thinner. No reduction is necessary. Do not apply if material, substrate or ambient temperature is below 50 °F (10 °C). Relative humidity should be below 90%. Do not apply if within 5 degrees of dew point or if rain is expected within 12 hours of application.
NOTE: DUE TO VOC REGULATIONS, WE CAN NOT SHIP THIS ITEM TO THE FOLLOWING STATES: ARIZONA, CALIFORNIA, CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, MAINE, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSLYVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, & VIRGINIA.
Be the first to
Leave a Review
DetailsCurrent Stock:SKU: V157Weight: 11.00 LBSWidth: 12.00Height: 8.00Depth: 7.00